Monday, February 12, 2018

Patterning Sellier & Bellot 12ga 2 3/4" "00" buckshot out of a riot 870 and TAC-14

Recently there was a pretty good sale on S&B 12ga "00" 9 pellet buckshot loads that I couldn't turn down. Yes, I load my own buckshot but sometimes factory is good to have around for a touchstone when you're loading your own ammo and want to have something to compare it against...or run out of time to load ammo for a match.

The weather here has started to warm up some so I decided to take the 870 riot gun out and see just how S&B's buckshot did at various distances. My distances are a little arbitrary as I judged them to be the lengths of various household distances one may come across.  I did not see a reason to pattern the gun under 7 yards since pretty much anything shot under 7 yards with a shotgun is going to be a softball size pattern at most.  The distances I chose was 7, 11, 15 and 20 yards. Anything past 20 yards in my experience with the choke on this particular shotgun is asking for a buckshot pellet out of the "D" zone on a IPSC size target and would be a distance I would start considering switching to slugs.  As a comparison I also shot a Remington TAC-14 at 15 yards to compare the spread of the buckshot at that particular distance having considered 15 yards to be max for buckshot out of that particular firearm.

For the money I am impressed with the factory S&B buckshot loads, it's hard enough to find buckshot under $1 a round and always hard to find buckshot in 25 round box lots. It has long since annoyed me buying any kind of non specialty shotgun ammo in 5 round boxes esp if one resides in a state where they tax each box of ammo. Anyways, my results are pictured below, note the spread on the two 15 yard targets the riot barrel is a imp cyl I believe where the TAC-14 is cyl. Each test target does indeed have 9 holes in each one, the 7 yard target immediately below shows the wad strike as well, some pellets nearly doubled up but there are 9 holes.








2 comments:

Buy Ammo Online said...

Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking for Purchase Fire arms Online? We are providing Buy Shot Guns Online, Buy Hand Guns Online, Buy Ammo Guns Online , Buy Rifles Online, Buy Bullets Online , Buy Primer Online for you with the well price and our services are very fast. https://www.opticsammunitionshop.com

Andrew said...

Hi there,
Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking for Firearms and Guns accessories Online in the whole USA? We are providing Buy Guns accessories Online ,Buy Air Guns Online,Buy aks Online ,Buy ammo Online ,Buy ammunition Online ,Buy apparel Online ,Buy automatic guns Online ,Buy barrels choke tubes Online,Buy brass Online ,Buy electronics guns ,Buy fixed blades Online ,Buy gears Online ,Buy gun-care Online ,Buy gun-cases-bags,Buy hand-gun-ammo online ,Buy hand-guns online ,Buy short-guns online ,Buy rifles online ,Buy revolver online ,Buy pistols online, Guns, Primers, Primers in stock, Small Pistol Primers, Ammunition in stock, Large Rifle Primers, 9mm ammo, 3030 ammo in stock, 3006 ammunition, 22lr in stock, Tactacam reveal X for sale, Best ammo prices, 12 Gauge ammo with the well price and our services are very fast.
Click here for MORE DETAILS......

CONTACT INFORMATION
Email: info@stalwartfirearms.com